Building off of Zero to Genetic Engineering Hero Classroom Pack (Chapters 1-4), this new biotechnology kit pack includes a series of advanced kits that leverage the skills and knowledge learned in previous chapters. Students will continue towards more advanced subjects such as extracting proteins from the cells they have engineered, expressing enzymes to catalyze chemical reactions, and controlling the expression of genes using chemicals, and heat.
The life science experiment kits included in this pack will take learners through the second part of the Genetic Engineering Hero's journey. In addition to completing the engaging hands-on activities mentioned above, students will also gain and practice further real-world lab skills such as microcentrifugation, culturing cells, inducing expression, and filter sterilization. While the hands-on activities and learnings in Chapters 5-7 delve into more advanced genetic engineering, these experiments can be used by teachers and students with no life science research experience. No prior knowledge is necessary save for having had completed Chapters 1 through 4 of the Zero to Genetic Engineering Hero Journey.
This Classroom Pack has four (4) of each kit for the exercises in Chapters 5-7 of Zero to Genetic Engineering Hero to extend students' knowledge in the exciting and promising world of biotechnology.
- Chapter 5 - Extracting your engineered proteins
- extract the proteins created by your engineer bacteria in real-life using the Extract-it kit so that they can be used in the 'real-world' (optional hands-on),
- continue understanding how cells know how to start, do and stop reading RNA (translation),
- discover proteins & enzymes, promoters vs. the ribosomal binding site and the other RNAs (rRNA & tRNA),
- learn and use the RNA to protein cipher.
- Chapter 6 - Processing Chemicals with Enzymes
- engineer cells to created small molecules and enzymes to create products like smells and color-changing molecules using the Smell-it kit and the Blue-it kit (optional hands-on),
- learn the basics of enzymatic chemical reactions,
- understand the Four B’s of cell function in action,
- discover protein enzymes as catalysis in cells,
- learn the basic structure of atoms and the four major types of bonds,
- explorer metabolic pathways and how they are used in genetic engineering and biotechnology.
- Chapter 7 - Manually turning on genes in situ
- engineer cells or use pre-engineered cells and manually turn on genes using light, chemicals, and heat to understand genetic switched in real-life using the RGB kit, the Induce-it kit and the Heat-it kit (optional hands-on),
- learn the mechanisms of gene expression,
- revise and apply the coding and non-coding regions of genes knowledge from Ch. 4-5,
- explore a DNA plasmid map,
- start setting the stage for you to design your custom DNA plasmids.
Kit packs are shipped 1-7 working days after you place your order. If you require yours for a specific date or event, please contact us before or with your order # so that we can try to make it happen for you! ☺︎
The experiment kit(s) must be refrigerated upon arrival for best shelf life. If your experiment kits stay at room temperature before you collect it from your mailbox/mailroom/etc, that's ok! As long as kits do not freeze, and they are stored in a refrigerator if you are not using it right away, there's no need to worry. If you do not have access to a refrigerator to store your kit, use it as soon as possible, and place it in a cool dark place until use.
For any questions, don't hesistate to reach out to us - help (at) amino.bio