- What will you learn?
- What's included?
- What else is needed?
- Storage & Shipping
- Starting a club or iGEM team
The teacher tester is a kit pack that brings together everything a science or visual arts teacher needs to get started with using hands-on biology exercises as a fun and engaging part of their class. This kit pack enables teachers with no expertise or experience in life science research to test, learn, and practice hands-on STEM or STEAM biology to their classrooms! Teachers around the world who once thought this subject daunting and too complex are now using these kits with up to 120 student groups to bring engaging and real-world experiences to their classrooms. Moreover, Amino Labs is seeing teachers of different disciplines collaborate and cross-cut with biology (e.g., visual art and biology, math, and biology).
With this Teacher Tester Kit Pack and Amino Labs biotechnology products in general, you do not need to have a dedicated lab space. The DNA Playground Large can be easily stored on a shelf or in a cabinet, freeing up the desk or bench space for other class activities.
Biotechnology has become a rapidly growing global industry. Now is an excellent time for students to learn hands-on biology through engaging exercises. These exercises can spark student interest in a viable and lucrative career path. This applies to both students interested in science and engineering, but also students interested in art and design - as biotechnology industry continues to grow and diversify, artist and designers are increasingly needed to communicate new science ideas to the public, develop product descriptions, and in the area of speculative design and science fiction writing, to inspire and direct biotechnology itself!
- Take the Genetic Engineers’ Pledge
- Chapter 1 - Isolating DNA, the Blueprints of Life:
- extract and see real genomic DNA from strawberries using the DNA extraction kit,
- assemble a DNA structure utilizing a drag and drop simulator,
- discover 'What is DNA?', 'What is DNA's function?', and 'What is DNA made of?',
- learn about the history of DNA, its evolution, the road to precisely editing DNA and its future,
- understand how DNA can be used in biotechnology to create products,
- understand how atoms, molecules, macromolecules (nucleic acid), and nucleotides come into play.
- Chapter 2 - Safety & setting up your Genetic Engineering Hero Space
- learn about the 4 Biosafety levels & how to stay safe & responsible during your biotechnology science projects,
- discover the rules & regulations in biotechnology,
- set up your own lab - What type of laboratory equipment is necessary? What kind of locations can be used for a safe & responsible biotechnology lab,
- learn how to inactivate your biotechnology science experiments and clean up your laboratory,
- download a laboratory safety checklist, a biosafety poster, and a biosecurity poster,
- understand the ethics, lab safety & best practices surrounding genetic engineering and biotechnology.
- Chapter 3 - Growing E. coli cells
- grow colorful, friendly lab-strain of bacteria and use it to make bioart in a virtual simulator and then in real-life using the Canvas kit (optional hands-on),
- learn the difference between safe laboratory E. coli vs. ‘bad’ E. coli and its history,
- learn 'What is a cell?'
- tour the cell structure using the Cells as (micro) factories analogy - a comparison between factories and cells.
- discover the role of macromolecules: carbs, lipids, proteins
- Chapter 4 - Genetic Engineering your E. coli cells
- engineer bacteria (cells) with a pre-made DNA program in a virtual simulator and then in real-life using the Engineer-it kit (optional hands-on),
- learn the primary operating environment of a cell,
- start understanding how cells read DNA: How do cells know how to start, do and stop reading DNA (transcription),
- discover 'What is a gene?'
- find out what DNA plasmids are and how to use them in biotechnology.
During this STEM biotechnology journey, you will learn how to use bacteria and DNA to make with biology. Once you are done, you will have completed the first part of the Zero to Genetic Engineering Hero's journey; genetically engineering bacteria with DNA plasmids! From there, you can continue your Genetic Engineering Hero journey with Chapters 5, 6, and 7 to learn about advanced biotechnology concepts and skills like enzymes, genetic switches, DNA plasmid maps, and more!
View the full learning journey here.
Kit packs are shipped 1-7 working days after you place your order. If you require yours for a specific date or event, please contact us before or with your order # so that we can try to make it happen for you! ☺︎
The experiment kit(s) must be refrigerated upon arrival for best shelf life. If your experiment kits stay at room temperature before you collect it from your mailbox/mailroom/etc, that's ok! As long as kits do not freeze, and they are stored in a refrigerator if you are not using it right away, there's no need to worry. If you do not have access to a refrigerator to store your kit, use it as soon as possible, and place it in a cool dark place until use.
For any questions, don't hesistate to reach out to us - help (at) amino.bio